Date Built: 2002

Architect: Moore Ruble Yudell

Two 10 storey towers, Clear Water 47 apartments and Bridgeview 29 apartments. Overlooks Waterfront Park, Glebe Island, Johnstons Bay. Site of CSR raw sugar store.

View Photo gallery


1880 - 1950

View over roofs of raw sugar store to Glebe Island and White Bay Melter in the raw sugar store Raw sugar store, Glebe Island, White Bay (l to r) Lewis Morley, Bulldozing raw sugar, from CSR Pyrmont Refinery Centenary 1978 Photography Project. Mark Johnson, Sugar cranes, from CSR Pyrmont Refinery Centenary 1978 Photography Project. Micky Allan, The factory, from CSR Pyrmont Refinery Centenary 1978 Photography Project. Discharging raw sugar from SS Fiona IV at the CSR Wharf, mid 1930s Erection of bulk raw sugar loader at CSR’s works, circa 1955 Discharging raw sugar from SS Rona at the CSR wharf, September 1935 View of Johnston's Bay and Balmain from the CSR works, circa 1880s Raw sugar store, sugar thrower, circa 1960 Raw sugar store, circa 1930s Max Dupain, Unloading bagged raw sugar from a vessel berthed alongside the CSR wharf, circa 1950s Raw sugar store, circa 1930s Cutting-in station, Raw sugar store, circa 1930s Raw sugar store, Low stocks due to industrial trouble, 1948

When the Colonial Sugar Refining Company moved to Pyrmont, the Reflections site was critical. Raw (crystalline) sugar arriving by ship from Queensland or Fiji was stored near the refinery (where Regatta Wharf and Fleetview now stand). The disused ballast quarry was ready-made for storing sugar: its rock walls only needed roofing. So ships moored opposite Reflections where sugar was unloaded and weighed: men wrestled sacks onto drays, and horses hauled the drays to the Raw Sugar Store where sugar was piled into hillocks.

Over time this process was streamlined. By the 1950s sugar could be loaded loose, and unloaded by a device like a water cannon. 140lb raw sugar sacks were slit at the ‘cutting in’ station and the contents tipped into a shaker conveyor – upended with a sack hook (a rookie often fell in as well). Machines replaced much of the manual labour, but horse power continued until the 1950s.

As CSR enjoyed a monopoly in Australian sugar production, it was essential to hold large stocks of raw sugar (so that the refinery could operate without interruption) and processed sugar (so that grocers and confectioners never lacked supplies). To meet this demand, the vacant quarry grew into a series of fully enclosed, high-roofed sheds stretching from the wharf as far inland as the Tablet House and Cooperage.