As this street is within the original Macarthur’s Pyrmont land purchase, it probably commemorates James Bowman (1784-1846), surgeon, who married Mary, second daughter of John and Elizabeth Macarthur. This street has become longer with time. The portion from Cross St to Point St was added in 1930, and part of Bank St added in 1933. The centre section, from Harris to Jones was sold to the CSR and closed in the early 1980s.
Bowman Street in 1955