Named after the first white owner of the land, Private Thomas Jones, a soldier in the NSW Corps who was granted 55 acres on the western shore of Cockle Bay in March 1795. The land was granted on condition that Jones live there and farm it. However, Jones never lived there or improved it. He sold it to Sergeant Obadiah Ikin in 1796, who sold it to Macarthur in 1799. Jones Street ran to Johnston’s Bay until 1906, when a section was sold to the CSR.
Poor Jones had a grim end. In July 1799, he, his sister Elizabeth and a friend William Elberry were arrested for the murder of a clergyman, Samuel Ash Clode. He was then living in a cottage at Brickfield Hill and it was there that Surgeon John Harris found spots of blood. This was the evidence, that, along with that of a child witness, was to send all three to the gallows. Governor Hunter ordered Jones’ house to be burnt to the ground; a gallows was erected on the spot and all three were hung. The corpse of Elizabeth was delivered to the surgeons for dissection; those of Jones and Elberry were hung in chains and allowed to putrefy.
Jones Street 1961