Mainly residential since mid-nineteenth century. School built 1891-2.
Most of John Street’s houses were owned by CSR, so Lend Lease could demolish and replace most of the precinct with new apartments. All but one of the cottages on the northern side between Jones Street and Cadigal Avenue were preserved, and most have been renovated and refurbished.
One was beyond repair: it has been recreated as a ‘Ghost House’. The skeletal frame of the old cottage has been built, in the hope that artifacts, archives and heritage items will be stored and displayed there.