The Cadigal Terraces – a contemporary take on Victorian terraces which once existed on the Colonial Sugar Refinery site where New Street ran and which eventually became a CSR carpark.
Houses were built on this site as shipyards, quarries and foundries developed from the 1840s. Those on New Street (roughly aligned with the present Cadigal Avenue) date at least from 1875. When CSR arrived and the refinery complex expanded, houses were bought for staff, or replaced with industrial plant. By the 1960s very few houses remained.
During the Second World War CSR’s workforce expanded to manufacture armaments. When peace returned and people began to drive to work in their own cars, this site became a staff car park, ranging from the Mercedes inherited by one of the timekeepers to the elderly Renault owned by the Chief Engineer.
Click here to learn more about the history of the Cadigal Terraces.