What should I do if I have a noise complaint?

If unreasonable noise is generated from another apartment or the common area of the building, contact the Security Gatehouse through your intercom or by ringing 02 8565 9494. A security guard will attend and may ask the resident to reduce the volume. If the security guard does not think the noise level is unreasonable, or if the noise continues, residents are advised to contact a Council Ranger on 1300 651 301, or the police on 000. Security will raise an incident report for the Executive Committee of your building.

If you experience continued issues from the same source, please email the strata manager with your strata plan number and unit or lot number, and the nature of your complaint.

There are restrictions on noise in the Station, but it is difficult to restrict noise from public areas outside the Station. Security officers have authority to request patrons to keep noise levels down both within the Station and on the forecourt.

For noise from ships at Glebe Island, the Port Authority have a 24/7 complaint line – 02 9296 4962. You can call this any time and the Port Authority will investigate and action accordingly.

See also the NOISE section in Issues page.