McCafferys Hill

Date Built: 2002-2004

Architect: Daryl Jackson Robin Dyke

McCafferys Tower, Mews, Johns Court, The Stables, Chalet, Cliff Top. 17-storey tower, three-and four-storey buildings. Highest point of the peninsula. Overlooks Saunders’ quarries. Site of McCafferys haulage company

View Photo gallery

McCafferys Hill


Fleet of Morris Commercial Leader ton lorries for sugar cartage,  1939 Refined sugar is transported by McCaffery Services Pty Ltd , circa 1980 Delivery truck, circa 1960 Map with McCafferys 1940s Downhill from McCafferys Disused stables Disused stables Disused stables Stables and Clifftop Walk

McCafferys Hill, the highest point of the Pyrmont peninsula, comprises six buildings: McCafferys Tower, Johns Court, Cliff Top, The Stables, Chalet and the Mews.
McCafferys buildings were designed by Daryl Jackson Robin Hyde, and opened in 2003 (except for The Stables, designed by Jon Johannsen and completed in 2004).
The buildings overlook sandstone quarries (Paradise, Purgatory and Hellhole) whose stone built many of Sydney’s grand buildings.

The hill and the tower are named after C. J. McCaffery who founded the haulage company that carried sugar products for the CSR refinery. The stables stood on the site of the present building called ‘The Stables’.

In the central square, surrounded by the McCafferys buildings, is a single timber block seat with image panels that depict the original plans of the stables. Glass and corten steel image blades are set in the garden bed along the length of the disabled access ramp, to depict historic views of stables and horse-drawn sugar transport.