Jacksons Landing, at the northern tip of the Pyrmont peninsula, attracts scholars and scores of students to inspect (and admire) a leading example of urban renewal. For a hundred years the Colonial Sugar Refining Company processed sugar here, distilled rum and industrial alcohol, and transformed sugar cane refuse into building material. As Australia’s second largest industrial complex (behind BHP) CSR even had the resources, the engineers and the skills to produce fuel, and weapons, during the Second World War.
Until the 1990s Pyrmont was noisily industrial and heavily polluted. As industries moved out, the State Government resolved to redevelop the suburb as high-rise residential. As a leading part of this program, the whole 11 hectare CSR site was bought by Lend Lease, who named it Jacksons Landing and planned a high-rise, upmarket residential complex. Within a Master Plan of landscaped parks and gardens, they commissioned architects to renovate industrial buildings when possible, and to replace most of them with contemporary designs.
The first residents moved in during 2000. By 2013 when all residential buildings were complete, a community of 2500 residents occupied 1400 apartments, terraces and townhouses. They enjoy common facilities (tennis courts, meeting rooms, a pool and gymnasium) and a sprinkling of commercial services. Jacksons Landing’s industrial heritage is reflected in machinery and installations scattered through the whole complex, and recorded in this website.