Trucks

In 1937 CSR began to purchase motor vehicles, perhaps because horses found it difficult to gain a foothold on newly sealed roads. In any case the NSW Wide Tyre Ordinance of 1935 limited the loads that could be carried on metal tyres, and that restricted the utility of horse-drawn wagons. As draft horses were retired, their stables became a garage for trucks.
Trucks did not simply replace horse-power: purpose-built road tankers were needed, to be pumped full of flammable and toxic chemicals to be taken from Pyrmont to a range of industrial plants throughout Sydney and beyond.