21 Harris Street

Site approved for a commercial building development. Construction yet to commence. Site of CSR engineering workshops.

View Photo gallery

21 Harris Street

Overview

21 Harris Street in 2012 Governor General Lord Gowrie talks to a CSR employee 1940 Governor General Lord Gowrie watching 18lb bomb shell cases being made 1940 Governor General Lord Gowrie being shown how 18lb bomb shell cases are made 1940 Governor General Lord Gowrie talks to a CSR employee 1940 Pyrmont houses c1939 Engineering workshops 1990s Engineering workshops 1990s Engineering workshops 1990s

The vacant block at 21 Harris Street was ­ briefly ­ a site of strategic importance. During the Second World War, CSR had to continue producing sugar and alcohol (to supplement the country’s fuel supplies) but Australians also had to manufacture armaments.
As CSR engineers and chemists responded to this crisis, houses were removed and engineering workshops built, to produce gun barrels, shell casings, Verey pistols and gas masks.
After the war these facilities reverted to the production and maintenance of refining and distilling machinery. Nearby houses were razed, to make room for the cars that most employees now owned. The workshops themselves were demolished while Bowman Street became a thoroughfare during the creation of Jacksons Landing. The site’s fate is still unclear.