Abattoirs and Wool stores

Abattoirs opened on Glebe Island in the 1850s (once the land was flattened and linked to the mainland) and slaughtering expanded to Bank Street (known as Abattoir Road until 1905), butchering cattle driven in from Sydney’s hinterland.
Deepening Pyrmont’s character as a processing precinct, in the 1880s the new railways ushered in a golden age of purpose-built and grandiose wool stores: Goldsborough Mort on Harris Street, followed (on the western edge of the peninsula) by Hill Clark, Winchcombe Carson and Barker.